Strawberry Basil Pie Filling
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. fresh green basil, minced
- 6 tbsp. corn starch
- Wash the strawberries, then remove the hulls.
- Leave very small strawberries whole, cut larger ones in half or quarters.
- Add the prepared berries to a bowl with the 1/2 cup sugar, the lemon juice, minced basil and fold gently to coat all the berries with the sugar.
- Leave the berries, covered at room temperature for about an hour, stirring occasionally; this will draw out liquid from the strawberries which is then thickened to ensure that the pie will hold together.
- Pour off most of the liquid from the bowl.
- Whisk in the cornstarch to the liquid until well combined.
- Place filling into pie crust — I recommend the Vodka Pie Crust Recipe.
- Bake at 375° until pastry is deep golden (cover edges of crust with foil if browning too quickly), 60–70 minutes. Set pie aside to cool for several hours before serving.
Taken from kelloggs.com.